Tiered wedding cakes
Over two days learn the techniques for constructing and decorating a two tiered wedding cake. With over 20 years experience designing and making wedding cakes, Nicky will give you her tried and tested techniques as well as the many tips she’s learnt along the way, so you can leave with the confidence to create your own edible ‘work of art’.
On this course you will learn:
- How to trim, cut and level a cake
- Making classic buttercream, Swiss meringue buttercream, ganache and adding flavours
- Layering & filling a cake
- Coating a cake (semi-naked & exposed buttercream)
- Coating a cake with rolled fondant icing and sharp edges
- Assembling a tiered cake – doweling and stacking
- Painting icing with coloured cocoa butter
- Making a ‘Feature’ sugar rose without the need for a cutter
- Techniques for attaching decorations and fresh flowers
- Storage & Transportation.
Requirements – You will need to bring with you an 8 inch sponge cake (any flavour of your choice), which is at least 3 inches in depth or three x 1 inch deep sponges for layering. Nicky will provide a polystyrene dummy cake for the second tier and all the other ingredients and equipment for you to use on the day. She will also provide a box for you to take your cake home.